We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Business Development Manager to join our Commercial Power Supply team and be responsible for managing our existing European clients and network of distributors as well as implementing a robust strategy for further development in the region. We are looking for someone with experience of technical sales for Power Supplies, Power Inverters and other power related products and solutions.
The Business Development Manager will be responsible for the efficient operation of the Commercial business including development and implementation of the company’s sales and marketing strategy across key market segments to ensure that the company optimises a clear path to aggressive growth.
We are looking for an entrepreneurial person who wants to use their sales talent to build upon a business which is already established but has under-performed in the last few years.
As a business development manager, you will need to:
- have an in-depth understanding of power switching technologies (e.g. switch-mode power supply, motor control, AC-DC power supply, UPS power supply)
- identify new business opportunities – including new markets, growth areas, trends, customers, products and services
- seek out the appropriate contact in potential new customer organisations
- generate leads and cold call prospective customers
- meet with customers/clients face to face and over the phone
- understand the needs of your customers and be able to respond effectively with a plan of how to meet these needs
- think strategically – seeing the bigger picture and setting aims and objectives in order to develop and improve the business
- work strategically – carrying out necessary planning in order to implement operational changes
- have a good understanding of the businesses’ products or services and be able to advise others about them
- train members of your admin support team, arranging external training where appropriate
- attend seminars, conferences and events where appropriate
- negotiate pricing with customers and suppliers
- carry out sales forecasts and analysis and present your findings to senior management.
- be willing to travel to customer and supplier sites as required, predominantly European and some other international
- identify new principals and products to complement and enhance our current range
- attend industry relevant exhibitions, conferences and events
- bring market information back into the team
- At mid-management level with several years’ experience, you can expect to earn £62,000 to £70,000 with OTE £85,000 based on new business turnover.
- Other benefits include a pension, healthcare scheme membership and car allowance.
You will usually work a regular 08.30 to 17.00, Monday to Friday week, although you may have to work longer to meet a project deadline or when travelling or attending an event or conference. Your office will be at Gresham House, Salisbury, UK.
What to expect
- It can be stressful trying to create new business opportunities, in addition to the constant pressure of meeting or exceeding targets.
- Business development is a creative role and can be very satisfying but this is accompanied with challenging aspects.
- You will frequently travel within the day for face-to-face meetings with customers and other business partners. Depending on the type of business, overnight or overseas travel will also be required.
- You will be expected to dress smartly, especially for meetings, although slightly more relaxed business casual attire may be acceptable at other times.
Degrees in engineering and/or business development or business management are the most relevant for this position.
A degree is not essential for this role and you may have worked your way up through organisations in a sales role.
You will need to have:
- tenacity and drive to seek new business and meet or exceed targets
- an excellent telephone manner for making initial contact and for ongoing communication with customers and business associates
- excellent written and verbal communication skills – needed for communicating with a wide range of people, both internally and externally
- good IT skills, including the use of spreadsheets
- a professional manner and presentable appearance for meeting customers/clients
- initiative and good decision-making skills
- project management skills
- the ability to motivate yourself and set your own goals in lin with the business needs
- good organisational skills
- good networking skills
- the ability to think strategically
- the ability to analyse sales figures and write reports
- initiative and the confidence to start things from scratch
- the ability to speak a foreign language may be an asset if you are dealing with overseas clients.
- A full UK driving licence is a requirement.
- You need to be legally authorised to work in the United Kingdom and travel internationally without restriction.
- To be fluent in English. A second European language is an advantage.
How to Apply
Applicants to apply to karen.Jay@greshampower.com